Capital Gain for Foreign Investors

9 10 2005

Under U.S. tax law, a foreign person who sells or exchanges property interest within
the U.S. must report the gain on a U.S. tax return, and the buyer must withhold and pay to the IRS a percent of the gross amount paid to the foreign person. But as with all things IRS-related, savvy investors seek out loopholes. A fact sheet (FS-2005-16) issued by the IRS, however, describes two techniques used sometimes that the tax service does not consider loopholes, and it encourages all real estate associates involved in international deals to read it. FS-2005-16 can be accessed through the IRS Web site.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: